Thursday, January 25, 2007

Birds of Prey




The other day I saw a Bald Eagle as I was driving to school. It was in a tree with a bunch of crows. I thought that was weird, but I couldn't stop to investigate more thoroughly because I was in a rush. It's not everyday that you see a bald eagle hanging out with some crows, perched in a tree by the side of the road. I wish I would have been able to sit there and watch for a while.

Not too many days prior while Lisa and I were out a strolling through the woods, we were surprised to see a Great Horned Owl perched in a tree down the way from us. He noticed us pretty quickly and flew around the bend, where we saw him again before he flew away for good. It was so exciting. He was so big, and I had never seen one alive before.

Birds of prey are so elusive and so beautiful. I'm always awed by their presence whenever I encounter them. If I had time, I think I would seek them out more often, but for now I'll have to count my blessings for having caught a glimpse of these majestic winged predators, and keep my eyes peeled for future sightings.

6 comments:

Anna said...

That owl looks rather surprised. The eagle, however, looks regal and like he's on a mission to find dinner.

I like the eagle better than the owl I think.

Anonymous said...

..."I had never seen one alive before."...HAHA...you've only seen the creepy, stuffed one upstairs at Granny and Grandpa's house :D

la dahlia said...

in the book i'm reading, a crow's call means that death is near :)

la dahlia said...

by the way, I like your new blog too!

Mr. Mando said...

that could shed some light on my bald eagle sighting Dahlia, interesting. I like my new blog also, thanks.

Timothy said...

Totally. Great facelift.

I once snuck up on an eagle that was perched atop a crane by climbing up the crane arm to the top. When I came to the top and was about 10 feet away, it spun it's head 180 degrees and stared at me with those intense eyes. I thought, "Oh crap." Bald eagles are huuuge up close. Then I snapped a picture and it flew away.

BTW, scavenger birds often hang out with birds of prey to get the leftovers. I've seen gulls up in Alaska pestering bald eagles as they fly back to the shore with their catch, trying to get the eagle to drop the fish.