Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I passed!!


The praxis exam is a nationwide exit test for college graduates that has recently been adopted by the State of Washington.

Soon I will be joining the ranks of folks with a piece of paper that certifies that I indeed have been through four years of school. Not only will I have completed four years of study, but I will also have fulfilled the requirements of the university and the state. The consummation of these requirements, realized through my course of study, approve me to be entrusted with the education of young minds who are dependent on the public school system in our state. But it is not enough to obtain this piece of paper. It is not enough to have gone to an accredited institution, completed an accredited course of study, and compiled a 3.8 grade point average in my combined major and minor areas of study.

On top of the thousands of dollars already invested to acquire an education, there is an exit test that covers what I have already proved that I know well, as evidenced by a 3.8 GPA. The test, which cost $190.00, is actually two tests, one testing my major course of study, and the other my minor course of study.

It was a pain(it took up a whole Saturday), completely unnecessary, and outrageously expensive, but I passed both tests, and even received a certificate of excellence. I don't know what good that certificate will do, because it holds no value other than telling me that I know what I know that I know.

Just another piece of paper to file away. Glad to have it out of the way.
I'm tired of all these hoops, just let me teach already.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Be grateful you didn't also have to take the VCLA and the VRA....two other exams required by the state of Virginia (in addition to the Praxis) in order to become a license professional in the field of education. Congratulaciones!

Mr. Mando said...

I am, I am, thanks. Sorry you had to.

Unknown said...

Please, don't be sorry for me. On the other hand, I feel somewhat better prepared, or at least, having taking these tests I know they can't really count against me. There's two sides to it.

Mr. Mando said...

Thanks Erin, we are excited about coming over this weekend

Timothy said...

Be encouraged, it will look good on your resume someday.