Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Springtime!



The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day
When the sun is out and the wind is still,
You're one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
A cloud comes over the sunlit arch,
A wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March.


Robert Frost (1874–1963)
Two Tramps in Mud Time (1936)

I really enjoy springtime. It's my favorite time of year. I don't think I could ever get used to a place where there is no springtime. The beauty and life of spring even touches dry deserts.
Summer, winter and fall are all fun seasons, but only spring can bring that unpredictable beauty that is:
- The weather changing at the most unlikely moment,
- The green chutes that begin to burst through the newly melted ground,
- And every ounce of nature celebrating the end of another winter with colorful song, erratic movement, and abundant life.

I love spring.

1 comment:

Timothy said...

I like that poem. Robert Frost is amazing.